Weekend is here again “let the kids play”
“let the kids play”
Remember football at under age should be about development, kids having fun, being spontaneous, taking risks and not winning; if there is no pressure on winning, then there is no pressure at all.
Football at under age is not about winning but playing and having fun.
So things I always today and try not to forget.
- Arrive with a smile on your face, if your smiling then they will too.
- Don’t be pressurised by any parent on making team selections or making decisions
- Make sure every player gets and equal amount of time – I know it can be hard, especially if your playing in a very competitive league and there is a lot of pressure to get a result; but its important that all kids get enough playing time to develop, the more they play the better they get and the better they get, the more they will enjoy playing.
- Try and get you team to play out from the back; this will encourage playing football and allows your players more touches of the ball; after a while of constantly doing the right things, eventually you will see progression in how your team plays.
- Don’t be too worried if you lose, once the kids are having fun and are able to learn by there mistakes and most importantly you can see the things you need to work on in training. Losing and winning is all part of the game and kids usually forget soon after the game has finished.
- Remember the best form of defence is having the ball and by having the ball you need to be good holding onto to the ball and kids can only get better by being on the ball and training with it as much as possible.
- Don’t shout at the kids, encourage, but do not ridicule them when they take risks and try new things. Kids like to take risks and be spontaneous and we should not take this away from them. Dribbling, tricks this is all part of the game and should be encouraged.
- Coaches in Ireland are doing some great things as under age, but the system of the leagues is not helping us do our jobs and the pressure to win every week by parents and screaming line prowlers is not good for the game, in fact its ruining this beautiful sport!
Enjoy the weekend football lovers..