15 of the best blogs on preventing sports injuries in kids by Summer Nanny.com
Emma sent me this post from summernanny.com it’s certainly relevant to the coming weeks in Irish kids football; looking at some of the fixtures of u11s kids, due to the bad weather we know have a back-log of games. I noticed one team having 5 games this week and I’m talking about 10 and 11 year olds. This will most likely be the case for the next month for some of these teams. I wonder who would be liable if a child was to suffer injuries due to this amount of games, which could be potential 15/20 in one month?
As kids become more active in high level sports, they are also suffering from far more injuries related to those sports than ever before. As a parent, you are not helpless when it comes to injuries and your kids.
Make sure that you provide your kids with high quality, well-fitting equipment to play in.
Take opportunities to educate yourself about common injuries and how they can be prevented by using the right safety equipment and by your child taking the right preventative measures. Many injuries can be prevented simple by properly warming up and stretching. Find out more information for preventing sports injuries in the following 15 blog entries.
Often kids don’t want to wear protective gear because they think other kids will make fun of them or that it will affect how well they play.
Common Injuries in Kids
The following entries go over the most common sports injuries in kids. Just being aware of what can happen to a child while playing a sport can make you more aware of different symptoms to look for. Do you know the signs of a concussion? Concussions can be fatal if left untreated or ignored. Children, unlike adult athletes, are still growing and often suffer growth plate related injuries. For details on these common sports injuries and more, read the next five blog posts.
- Common Sports Injuries and How to Prevent Them The John O’Connor Way Head related injuries are discussed in this article.
- How to Avoid the Most Common Sports Injuries Common injuries are listed, as well as a bunch of techniques for avoiding them.
- From Concussions to Heat Stroke: 5 Common Sports Related Injuries in Kids This article does a thorough job of explaining each of the five most common injuries.
- Common Sports Injuries in the Spring A laundry list of common injuries and some ways to prevent them are discussed in this article.
- Dr. Spyros Panos: Common Sports Injuries Experienced by Kids This post lists common injuries as determined by NIAMS (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases).
Many injuries can be prevented just by using the right equipment, such as wearing protective eyewear and using mouth guards. By wearing the correct helmet, a serious brain injury can be prevented if a child falls off a bike or gets tackled on a football field.
Often kids don’t want to wear protective gear because they think other kids will make fun of them or that it will affect how well they play. If the equipment fits them well, however, it should not affect how they play since it was designed to keep them safe during activity.
For more information on how equipment can prevent injuries, read through these five blog articles.
- Safety Eyewear Can Prevent Sports Injuries in Kids Wearing protective eyewear can prevent 9 out of 10 incidents of sports eye injuries in kids.
- Tips for Preventing Sports-Related Dental Injuries Mouth guards, helmets and face cages are on the list of correct equipment to wear to prevent dental injuries in kids.
- Prevent Sports Mouth Injuries for Downtown Kids By wearing the correct equipment injuries caused by braces can be prevented.
- Bike Helmet Laws Prevent Injuries to Kids—By Putting them in Cars A reduction in cycling injuries is credited to wearing helmets.
- 5 Things to Know About Concussion Management and Prevention for Young Athletes Equipment suitable for preventing concussions is detailed in this blog post.
How to Prevent Injuries
As a parent, you can actively help prevent your child from getting injured. Make sure that the rules are explained in detail to him. Make sure he understands the rules and knows how to use the equipment safely. Learn how to prevent injuries by reading through these five blogs entries.
- Tips to Prevent Sports Injuries in Children This post is by the American Academy of Pediatrics and covers eight ways to prevent injuries in kids.
- Six Ways Parents Can Help Prevent Sports Injuries The role of parents and what they can do to make sure injuries don’t happen is discussed in this article.
- Tips to Prevent Sports Injuries in Children Following the rules and making sure that your child doesn’t overexert himself are just two of the tips covered in this entry about preventing injuriesy.
- Prevent Kids’ Sports Injuries According to this blog article, over 2.5 million sports injuries have occurred to kids under the age of four in 2011, and half could have been prevented.
- Five Important Techniques to Prevent Sports Injuries in Children Numerous ideas regarding the prevention of sporting injuries are explained in this blog entry.