Take The Pledge, 16 Elements in support of your child’s sport.
Why not start the season and take the pledge to be more encouraging at your kids match. This way you commit to implementing a healthier and sustainable pathway to success, which falls on the shoulders of everyone involved with Kids Sports – especially Parents.
TCD wants to insure that Kids Sport can be enjoyed in a safe and positive environment. Remember that football and all sport provide kids with the opportunity to develop, their Technical, Physical, Tactical (older) and social skills.
Winning is not the number 1 reason they get involved.
Parents are continually asked by clubs to get involved and be a supportive spectator, here is one way to can be just that.
I here by pledge to provide positive support, praise and encouragement for my child participating in this game, by following the Parent Pledge.
- I will let my child play and have fun in a safe environment.
- I will let my child choose the sport(s) he/she wants to play.
- I will get my child to and from training/matches on time.
- I will remember that the game is for kids and not for adults.
- I will let the coaches take responsibility for instructing and teaching my child.
- I will refrain from making negative comments about my child’s coach in my child’s presence. I understand that everyone is trying their best and sometimes people make mistakes. By doing this I understand this will avoid planting negatives thoughts in my child’s head that can negatively influence his/her motivation and sports experience.
- I will focus on using sports to teach life lessons to my child and his teammates.
- I will teach my child what it is to be a ‘Winner’. A winner is someone who gives their best Effort, always want to Learn and does not let Mistakes, or fear of making mistakes stop them from improving.
- I will provide positive encouragement to my child and his or her teammates and will never ridicule or yell at my child for losing a game or competition.
- I will limit my comments during the game. The game can be a very chaotic experience for my child, especially trying to deal with the fast-paced action and having to listen to teammates directions, as well as blank out, all the sideline noise and focus on things the coaching staff are saying. I will not at to the confusion.
- I will set an example to always respect the game and encourage my child to remember the ROOTS (Respect for the Rules, Opponents, Officials, Teammates & Self). I will never engage in, or tolerate, offensive, insulting, or abusive language or behaviour towards any official, coach, player or spectator.
- I will be in control of my self and my emotions on the sideline and pledge to stay quiet if I have nothing positive to say.
- I will ensure the trip back home in the car is a positive one.
- I will always say things like, ‘I love watching you play’ and ‘Did you have fun?’ and “Did you do your best?’ to my child after their game.
- I will always make sure my child has fun. I understand that the top 3 reasons kids play sport are to 1. Have fun 2. Make New Friends. 3. Learn new skills and that far less than 1% of all participants ever make it to the professional level of the game.
- I will not live my dreams through my child.
Yes, I commit to making my child’s sport experience a Healthy and Enjoyable one!
DOWNLOAD The Parent Pledge, sign it and hand the top half to your child’s coach. Have a great season supporting your child’s team!
Next post is the ‘Player’s Pledge’
I always like to hear your opinions and views. If you feel you have something to say, please comment below or email me firstname.lastname@example.org If, you don’t have anything to add then please forward this on to a friend. As always, thanks for reading.
I’m also on twitter @Coachdiary