Post – Future of Youth Development in Irish Football
We had coaches from Aungier Celtic, Bohemians FC, Cabinteely FC, Castleknock Celtic FC, Crumlin United, Dunboyne AFC, DDLS referees, NDSL Academy, Premier Skills Ireland, Lourdes Celtic FC, Newbridge Town FC, Portlaoise AFC, Shelbourne FC, Trim Celtic AFC, Ratoath Harps, including journalist from the Times, The Herald and The Star.
What was said
Some really good points made:
- Summer football.
- All year around football.
- Non competitive until 12s.
- Introduction of ‘Funino’ 3v3 and 5v5 throughout Ireland.
- Clubs to put pressure on SFAI and FAI to implement change ASAP.
- Regular workshops to implement change.
- Child Welfare mandatory courses for all coaches (Like the UK).
- Parent education should be mandatory.
- Bigger involvement of soccer in both primary and secondary Schools.
- Much more involvement from the governing body ‘the FAI’ within Grassroots structure.
- Pre-season talk with players and referees.
- The converted to spread the word amongst fellow coaches and implement changes within their clubs.
Your Suggestions prior to talk:
- More Futsal games for skill development rather competitive 5v5 games for winning.
- Change in Coaching Methods with an emphasis on technique and insist on all Coaches/Managers attending coaching courses before being allowed coach kids.
- Smaller pitches, smaller goals.
- No league tables until aged 14 – play on small pitches until 13/14.
- We must concentrate on developing our young players technically from 5/6 years of age.
- Non-Competitive football until u14. Bigger focus on Technical needs of the players from u5s to u14s.
- Small sided games is the way forward up to u12 level. Should be non competitive at this level.
- Start 11 aside football at u14s.
- Competition to start at u13s.
- Introduction of a proper national technical program.
- Remove the SFAI from directing football.
- Allow more influence from other coaching groups like Coerver.
- 7v7 until age u12s, move to 11v11 at u13s introduce competition at u14s.
- Roll out changes across the country.
- In our league NECSL age 12 should is currently 11 a side, will be pushing again to keep it at 9 a side.
- 9aside until u13 with size four ball.
- Competitive soccer to be introduced from under 14s upwards and a bigger emphasis towards concepts such as ”FUNino” also more F.A.I involvement in the D.D.S.L
- No moving clubs before the age of 12
- Smaller pitches for younger ages – more touches, so more football
Let me know if I have forgotten any, thanks!
They are just some of the questions and ideas brought up by coaches from the clubs listed above. Although the turn out of just 35 coaches was disappointing the content from the speakers and questions from the floor was not. I hope to run these workshops over the coming months and with the help of you guys, we can continue to educate those who have yet to follow the change we so desperately want.
The Winners of the prizes are as follows:
Inside Soccer Bootroom+ (I year subscription) – John Farrell – Ratoath Harps
Inside Soccer Bootroom+ (I year subscription) – Fran Tyrell – Dunboyne AFC
Inside Soccer Bootroom+ (I year subscription) – Robbie Connell – Trim Celtic AFC
Inside Soccer Annual Convention 2011 (I year subscription) – Eoin Feely – Unattached
Inside Soccer Annual Convention 2011 (I year subscription) – Keane Murray – Aungier Celtic
Coerver Coaching workshop – May18/19th – Alan Byrne – Lourdes Celtic
Coachdiary Workshop (tbc) – Dermot O’Connor – Cabinteely FC
And a 20% discount for everyone else before April 15th – use code TCD20
Thanks to JAKO.IE for sponsoring the event – INSIDESOCCER.COM and COERVER COACHING IRELAND for the prizes and you for participating.
Next Talk: May 2013